06 December 2004

Lefty Libertarians???

A misconception about libertarians is that they're pissed off Republicans, far right wingers. That may be a group within the party, but there are others like myself who come from the left side of the aisle. Those that abhor the Patriot Act, hate seeing the destruction of what government control does to the very Earth we live on. I despise the war in Iraq because it was initiating force to achieve a socio-political objective. If two people of the same sex want to get married, it's not my time or place to say it's wrong. It's your private decision, as long as you don't infringe on the rights of another person.

Friends of mine who are liberal in their beliefs look at me and think I'm a kook, but when we're sitting down over a beer (which we usually are), and I explain that I'm more socially accepting than most Democrats, they look at me with a newfound respect. What this boils down to, is if you think that Democrats are more and more out there, and won't support your personal choices, look to libertarians. It's your life, your choice.

No comments: