21 October 2004

Debate Drama

Today I had a couple of candidate forums. Being the novice in this arena, I expected to vomit on my mic. Thankfully, that didn't happen, but I was extremely nervous to those who witnessed it. The topics were simple and easy, and I did my best to stay on message. I was most concerned with the little red light on the camera glaring at me. According to others (who are very friendly) I came off very well, with just a hint of the jitters. I wanted to just puke everywhere. Politics is a strange game, you think you know how something will pan out, and BAM, you are a deer in the headlights!

I did enjoy myself, the other candidates were extremely nice, especially one of the incumbents, Walt Waitt. He reminds me of my grandfather, firm but exceptionally friendly. He always had a little joke for me, just to keep things light. It is county council, not ruler of the known universe. We discussed the fairgrounds, I stated my message that I don't think penny one of the taxpayers' money should be spent on a private project. The government is a referee, not a player when it comes to the private sector. I did state that roads are of paramount importance to the well-being of the county, and should take priority when it comes to spending. I know I've said it before, but YOU HAVE TO HAVE ROADS.

I said that while a comprehensive plan for the county is a good thing to have, private property owners' rights should come first. Bond issues are not an option when people have been taxed to death, one citizen told her story of how property taxes are breaking her financially. It is a sad day when the government takes someone out of her home in the name of "progress."

All in all, a good day, an interesting day, but another day in the life.

No comments: